The after story

14 comments
Getting the baby quilts out of the dryer I was extremely worried. Luckily the squares were intact but they were kind of a snarly mess.

The quilt in the background hasn't been dethreaded yet. The quilt in the forefront had all the loose threads clipped. You wouldn't believe the pile of thread I got just in 1 washing. I'm pretty sure it will shed some every wash, maybe?
So this is what it looks like now as a completed now. They are cute quilts. I do worry that some of the homespun types of plaids will not hold up as well to a wash and wear type of quilt that most baby quilts are. If they were my quilts I would try to wash them as little as possible. I know these types of quilts are popular and they have a charm to them even though that might not be something I would really pick out myself.
I got a nice comment from Diane yesterday telling me the quilt kits for this baby quilt are sold in her area. I forgot she lived in that area of Idaho and shopped at that quilt store. The store the kits came from is in Rupert Idaho and I think its called "The Gathering Place" if I remember right. Diane had even posted the same type of quilt she made a bit back on her blog. You can see it here. Hers looks darling. She told me that the sample quilt was so popular it was even stolen from the store! (quilters don't steal! so it must have been a non-quilter!)

So I guess maybe I made snap judgement about this pattern as it did turn out, shame on me. But still if I were to make it for my baby quilt stash I would probably make it in more of a traditional method. But thats just me and I guess thats why I don't like frayed jeans either (why would you buy your jeans half worn out anyway? when my kids bring home pants like that I think its just crazy!)

-nanette
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

14 comments

Oiyi said...

Wow, that was a lot of work, but I love how it looks. Very cute!

Unknown said...

I'm with you Nan, not my first choice for a baby quilt, but it did finish beautifully. I'm with you on the jeans, when they are frayed it's time to turn them into shorts or hit the rag bag....

May Kristin said...

I think they turned out really great!

Purple and Paisley said...

yipes - all those snarls would have made me cry...is brown a popular baby color now? regardless, you did a wonderful job and the quilt does look awesome...=)

Anonymous said...

Nan,

It looks nice...but oh the work that went into it, huh? Great job! I'll bet you're happy you're done though!

Unknown said...

That looks really great. So boyish, which is what you want. I love it!

Karen said...

The quilts turned out beautifully. They are a lot of work to do this way. I love the colors and fabrics.
I'm sure the mother of the twins is going to be very pleased.
Thanks so much for sharing.

Eileen said...

I just had a feeling you'd have snarls to deal with. Bet you were snarling too.
But they did turn out darling! They will probably become favorites, they looks so cozy and puffy. :)

Thimbleanna said...

Wow Nanette! What a surprise! I'm traditional like you and have never really cared for the raggy quilts, but this version isn't too raggy -- I think I like it! And Diane's is adorable too!

Jana Nielson said...

Cute, but too much work for me! I like easy and durable for babies!

michelle said...

Gee Nan I really liked them. I kinda like them better before they were washed. It was a pattern that would have caught my eye.

Darlene said...

I'm very traditional, also, and have never cared for rag quilts. I do like the way this one turned out and might be something to try in the future. HMMM!! :-)
Diane's is adorable.

Where in the world is Jefferson City, Missouri said...

I could see using flannel but on cotton material it won't last. But i love the look. Denim would be neat too. Great job.

Des said...

:) I love this quilt. We've made it many, many times now. I think yours turned out perfect. Here's a funny blog about it. http://quilttaffy.blogspot.com/2008/04/its-like-childbirth.html